From Podfade to Podcast Renaissance: Predicting the Revival and Future Success of the Podcasting Medium – James Cridland, Sam Sethi with Host Rob Greenlee
Have you heard these myths about the future of the podcasting industry? Myth #1: Podcasting is just a passing trend. Myth #2: The market is oversaturated with podcasts, making it impossible to stand out. Myth #3: Only big-name podcasters can succeed in this industry. In this episode, our guests, James Cridland and Sam Sethi, will debunk these myths and share the truth about the future of podcasting.
With guests are James Cridland, Sam Sethi, and Host Rob Greenlee
James Cridland, the editor-in-chief of PodNews, is a well-known figure in the podcasting industry. With his daily updates on the latest happenings in podcasting, James keeps podcasters and content creators updated. His expertise and insights make him a sought-after guest on various podcasts, including his own show, the PodNews Weekly Review. James’s ability to find excellent interviewees and his knack for delivering engaging content make his show a must-listen for anyone interested in podcasting. With his deep knowledge of the industry and his passion for the medium, James brings a unique perspective to the future of podcasting.
We just need to keep on pushing new ideas and eventually Apple and Spotify will wake up, smell the coffee and go, ‘Oh, you know what? That would be quite a good feature for us to include.’ – James Cridland
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Learn about the latest data and podcast industry discrepancies that could impact your show’s growth.
- Discover how to integrate live video streaming into your podcast to engage your audience in a new way.
- Gain insights into the challenges of communication and PR in the podcasting industry and how to overcome them.
- Find out how YouTube Music’s podcast integration can expand your show’s reach and attract new listeners.
- Explore the future of the podcasting industry and stay ahead of the trends to ensure the success of your show.
Challenges in Communication and PR
Clear communication and effective public relations are the soul of any industry, and podcasting is no different. Recent developments like the integration of podcasts into YouTube Music highlight the vital role of communication in explaining complex features and addressing queries. Engaging a dedicated PR person to manage podcast-related inquiries, as Apple has done, can significantly streamline communication processes and ensure a smooth user experience.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
- Visit the PodNews website (PodNews.net) to stay updated with the latest podcast news.
- Check out Podfans FM (Podfans.fm), a new platform that supports all the podcasting 2.0 standards.
- Listen to the Podnews Weekly Review podcast (weekly.PodNews.net) for interviews and discussions about podcasting.
- Explore the alternate enclosure tag in podcasting 2.0 to provide audio and video options in your RSS feed.
- Consider using the Podfans platform to broadcast live events with audio and video capabilities.
- Utilize the alternate enclosure tag to allow viewers to watch or listen to your content.
- Experiment with combining audio and video feeds to simplify the user experience and avoid splitting your audience.
- Check out YouTube Music for a user-friendly switching experience between audio and video content.
- Consider a convergence strategy by producing audio and video content for your podcast, if applicable.
- Stay tuned for future episodes of the new media show for more insights and discussions on podcasting.
The key moments in this episode are:
00:00:05 – Introduction
00:01:15 – Podcasting 2.0
00:04:40 – Podnews Weekly Review
00:06:48 – Implications of the Alternate Enclosure Tag
00:07:48 – Apple’s Support for Alternate Enclosure
00:14:36 – Spotify’s Video Feature for Joe Rogan
00:15:02 – Splitting Listeners and Podcast Industry
00:16:21 – YouTube’s Strengths and YouTube Music
00:17:53 – Importance of Alternate Enclosures
00:18:27 – Live Tag and Radio Industry
00:30:10 – Live Item Tag Support in Podcasting Apps
00:30:47 – The Potential of Live Podcasting on Apple
00:34:11 – Improving Streamyard with Permanent URLs
00:31:01 – Simultaneous Publishing for Live Episodes
00:36:58 – Podcast Hosts Embracing Live Podcasting
00:46:32 – The Importance of Repurposing Radio Content
00:47:57 – Podcasting Revenue and Radio’s Perception
00:49:59 – Radio Companies and Podcasting
00:51:30 – Consolidation and Advertising Deals
00:54:31 – Scams Targeting Podcasters on Facebook
01:02:59 – Introduction to YouTube Music’s podcast features
01:03:40 – YouTube Music’s dual approach to playing podcasts
01:05:04 – Difference between YouTube Music and YouTube Studio experience
01:07:04 – Lack of communication from the YouTube team
01:10:54 – Increase in podcast listening among older audiences
01:19:16 – How the hosts’ shares are doing
01:19:40 – Early adoption of electric cars
01:20:26 – Reluctance to buy an Elon Musk car
01:21:17 – Electric car preferences and concerns
01:23:03 – Future of podcasting
01:34:23 – Podcast Industry Data
01:36:01 – Validating Podcasts
01:37:31 – Podcast Completeness Tag
01:40:15 – Discrepancies in Podcast Numbers
01:42:35 – Contact Information